Thursday, July 21, 2011

Trying to listen better to my body, and have no fear of it's limitations

I always hate it when I start a new exercise routine and end up hurting myself. It happened when I started running, and the last time I started doing ChaLean Extreme. It can end up derailing me. I feel terrible and awful because I'll be injured and unable to do anything due to shin splints, or severe back pain. I would hold back to avoid this from happening, but it doesn't get me anywhere.

So I've been trying to push it, but not over do it with this round. I can't afford to injure myself form my stupidity or impatience. Chalean Johnson also shows you how you can create your own resistance, so if I end up going a little lighter, I can adjust as I need to to work my muscles to their limits. But again, I am still anxious about getting hurt, and losing more and more progress. I LOVE the feeling after I get through my workouts. It's hard and I may have to force myself a bit to get going, but I focus on how great it will feel in the end when I get that physical high and also the mental boost of logging my minutes and calories burned.

My hamstrings have felt really tight today and also sore and a bit like they were a little over worked.  Not to the point of injury, but felt like it was a warning side that I needed to give them a rest. So I took today as my second rest day in the week as opposed to it being on Sunday. I am concerned that it would have been fine and that I shouldn't worry so much about it. That maybe I'm using the "fear" of my body's limitations as an excuse not to exercise today because I'm tired (which I am). What if I do the same thing tomorrow and the next and the next? I can't allow it though. I have to stay on task. I have to keep moving forward, give my body this day of rest and then push it again tomorrow. It has to change. I can't hide beneath these layers anymore, because it's no longer comfortable and it gets less and less so every day.

I haven't worked on my Chinese much the last few days. It was fun while we were camping talking about it and practicing it slightly with my sister (she was a teacher in China for the last year and is going back for one more year). I misplaced my ipod in my house somewhere which has the podcasts that I've been using to help with learning. I also have been busy with my new routine of tracking, exercising and keeping this blog. Maybe I needed a short break. It's been a busy few weeks. And we're getting down to really having to get our ducks in a row for the wedding.

Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment